Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Work with what you've got

I had a frustrating morning yesterday. Everything I tried to do just didn't work. That said, I was almost afraid to attempt preparing lunch, for fear it would be a disaster. We were pleasantly surprised that it was not. I was going to make gnocchi primavera, until I realized that I didn't have any little green peas. I did, however, have some green beans in the freezer, so... gnocchi with green beans and pesto! (Inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe; see link below for Mario Batali's version.) Although I had to rethink the sauce and vegetables, my homemade gnocchi turned out great, and lunch was delicious. The gnocchi recipe I used was from Pampered Chef, but the link I'm posting is similar. If you don't have a food mill, you can use a potato masher or ricer, but I wouldn't recommend a food processor. Don't be intimidated by the length of the recipe. Gnocchi is really easy and quite fun to make. Of course, if you don't want to try your hand, you can buy it in the Italian specialty section of the grocery store.
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/gnocchi-recipe/index.html
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/trenette-with-pesto-beans-and-potatoes-pesto-genovese-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment