Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A yummy vacation

We just got back from Asheville, NC, where there are fabulous local restaurants everywhere! Unfortunately, one of our favorites was closed for the week, but even without Tupelo Honey, we ate very well. Rosemary braised seitan with truffled parsnip-potato mash and broccolini at Laughing Seed... sweet potato hashbrowns and sauteed kale at Green Sage... lobster mac & cheese, pecan crusted trout, and braised bok choy at Lobster Trap... grilled pimiento cheese sandwich at Early Girl Eatery... and an amazing Indian buffet of dishes I can't spell or pronounce at Mela. When we weren't dining in downtown Asheville, we enjoyed fresh, local (well, mostly local) produce and meats which we prepared at the cabin. If you're ever in Asheville, check out these restaurants and Hickory Nut Gap Farm, which supplies many of them. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Since we couldn't eat at Tupelo Honey Cafe, I decided to try to recreate part of their menu at home. My first attempt-- candied ginger cornbread. It turned out pretty well, but I should have added sugar and more ginger. The cornbread was delicious with sweet potato bisque (a.k.a., Moosewood's Potage Jacqueline; see recipe link below). I used a standard buttermilk cornbread recipe and added chopped crystallized ginger.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to recreate Early Girl's grilled pimiento cheese-- I'll let you know how it goes!

www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/recipes_archive.html#51

Many of the restaurants I've mentioned have posted their menus online. Check out the restaurants section of www.romanticasheville for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment