Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Let them eat (vegan chocolate) cake!

Prelude: When we were in Asheville last summer, we stopped in this little bakery downtown. Their cupcakes were so delicious that the next day we went back for more! The guy working there offered us a sample of vegan chocolate cake, which was delicious. I was intrigued by the idea of vegan baking, but had not gotten around to trying it myself.
Melinda called last week to ask if I could make 2 dozen cupcakes for BCM lunch which is, of course, today. No problem. I just wish I could help serve BCM lunch-- always a good time! Except, of course, that there's always a problem. Last night as I closed my eyes to go to sleep, I realized that I had totally forgotten about cupcakes. No cake mix in the house! And only 1 stick of butter... Oh, no! I lay awake awhile plotting how to run to Wal-Mart while Nick fed Bella breakfast, or even to just leave early enough before Bible study to stop and pick up some (inferior to homemade) cupcakes. Then I had a brilliant idea-- why not bake vegan cupcakes? No butter needed.
Brilliant idea was almost a disaster, because, it turns out, I'm runnning a little low on flour, too. (What have I been thinking with the grocery list?) Anyway, I had enough, and the cupcakes turned out beautifully. There were only 18-- oops! Not quite the requested 2 dozen. So, I didn't get to try one. However, the batter was delicious and the smell as they baked was heavenly. I think I'll have to make a batch for us tonight!

Recipe and notes:
Deep Chocolate Vegan Cake (from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics) serves 8 (or makes 18 cupcakes)
prep: 1 mins. bake: 25-30 mins. (15-20 was sufficient for the cupcakes)
1 1/2 c unbleached white flour
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c cold water or chilled brewed coffee
2 ts pure vanilla extract
2 T cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 375. Generously oil an 8-inch square or round nonreactive baking pan and dust with a little sifted cocoa or line the bottom with parchment.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar. In another bowl, combine the oil, water or coffee, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well blended and smooth.
Add the vinegar and stir briefly; the baking soda will begin to react with the vinegar right away, leaving pale swirls in the batter. Without wasting any time, pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25-30 mins.

I used a medium scoop to fill my cupcake liners. I probably could have used the large scoop, but the batter did rise quite a bit. Really somewhere between medium and large would have been perfect. I didn't time the baking, just checked the cupcakes when they smelled done. Finished with a dusting of powdered sugar.

1 comment: