Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I want a Viking gas range

Okay, I guess it doesn't have to be a Viking... but a gas stove would have been a godsend. We spent the first half of the week in Benton to attend Nick's grandad's funeral. Food highlight-- McClard's barbecue! (We all thought it fitting. Grandad loved McClard's.) We returned to a cold, electricity-less house, so I haven't had a homecooked meal all week (unless you count the generous casserole spread prepared by the ladies at Hot Springs Baptist Church). Imagine my joy when we returned home from eating supper out last night and our power was back on! Nick was kind enough to cook the meal I had planned. He's such a good husband. We forgot to take a picture, but trust me, it was pretty.

Elegant oven-poached fish Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
serves 4-6 prep: 15 mins bake: 20-30 mins
1 1/2 pounds thick fish fillets
2-3 leeks, sliced and rinsed well*
1 tomato, coarsely chopped
3/4 c dry white wine
2 T capers
2 ts chopped fresh thyme (1/2 ts dried)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
cooked brown rice or orzo
*For this dish, prepare about 2 cups of sliced leeks, using only the tender white bulbs.

Preheat oven to 425.
Rinse the fish fillets, pat dry, and set aside.
Spread the sliced leeks on the bottom of a baking dish large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Scatter the tomatoes over the leeks and pour on the wine. Arrange the fish on top and sprinkle with the capers, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. The fish is done when the thickest part is easily pierced with a knife.
Serve each portion on a bed of rice or orzo and spoon some of the pan juices and vegetables over each serving.

We used salmon and 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of the tomato and wine (because we're out of tomatoes and wine). We served our salmon over saffron chive couscous, but I think it would have been better over plain couscous or orzo. We cooked extra salmon to use tomorrow in salmon cakes.

2 comments:

  1. Gas! It's a wonderful thing! I had it for almost two years before we moved to Monticello, and my wonderful hubby (a phenomenal cook) got to discover first-hand why I wanted a gas stove so badly. Now we're back to electric. We've experienced the long-term power outage (summer hurricanes) that kept us from cooking, but gas is also just so much easier to cook on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your family's loss. It's always nice to remember them in a good happy way like the barbecue place. I love my gas range... I've had one since our first house 11 years ago and I couldn't cook on an electric one now to save my life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete