Saturday, January 10, 2009

Weekend meals


Today for lunch we had black beans and yellow rice, and sweet potato quesadillas. I didn't quite follow the recipe, but they were yummy just the same. Supper was spaghetti squash with pesto and peas. Below is the link to the recipe that inspired supper. I cheated on that one as well, using pesto that Nick made and froze this summer. The sticker on my squash informed me that spaghetti squash is "the fun squash." I was mildly amused by the fact that my spaghetti squash came from Mexico.

Recipes and notes:
Sweet Potato Quesadillas (from Simply in Season) yields 8 quesadillas
1 12/ c onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Saute in large frypan in 1 T oil until translucent.

2 ts dried oregano
1 ts each dried basil, marjoram, chili powder
1 1/2 ts ground cumin (optional)
pinch of ground red pepper
Add and cook another minute.

4 c sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
Add and heat through, frequently stirring to prevent sticking. Add salt and pepper to taste.

8 tortillas
1 c sharp cheddar, shredded
Spread about 1/2 c filling and 2 T cheese on half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Fold tortilla in half. Place on oiled baking sheets. Brush tops with oil. Bake in preheated oven at 400F until brown, 15-20 mins. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

I omitted the garlic and caramelized the onion in a little butter instead of oil. I used different spices: onion, garlic, and chili powders + salt and pepper. I stirred the caramelized onion into the sweet potatoes, spread on tortillas, and probably used more cheese than recommended.

Pasta Pesto and Peas
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pasta-pesto-and-peas-recipe2/index.html
Pesto is one of those things I'm always glad I have on hand. Don't feel inspired to cook? Boil some pasta and toss it with pesto. Or stir it into tomato sauce for pizza. Or serve it with crostini for a quick appetizer. Of course, you can buy it jarred at the grocery store, but it's easy to make, and when the basil is out of control in the summer, it seems like a waste to not use it. (Plus, it's much cheaper to make your own.) Pesto also freezes really well. I've read that you can freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop the cubes out into freezer bags. We freeze it in snack-size ziploc bags, then put the small bags inside a freezer bag. To defrost, I place a bag in a bowl of hot water while I'm cooking my pasta.
To prepare the spaghetti squash, I sliced it in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds and pulp, drizzled the halves with olive oil, and baked at 400 degrees until the flesh was tender. I think that was probably about 30 minutes, but, as my mom would say, I have no concept of time. When the squash is tender, use a fork to scrape it out of the skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and serve as you would pasta. (Try it with marinara and turkey meatballs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment