Saturday, January 31, 2009

Planned leftovers

I rarely eat leftovers. I'll reheat and re-eat anything that improves from sitting overnight: soup (but not potato soup), lasagna, jambalaya, gumbo, etoufee... But sometimes I cook extra with plans to magically transform the leftovers into something entirely different and, occasionally, extraordinary. Last night Nick poached salmon; I had him cook extra so we could make salmon cakes tonight. The recipe that follows simply boils the salmon with the vegetables, which is not a big deal, but it made me feel smart to have planned ahead. You can also use leftover mashed potatoes with great results. Feel free to substitute leftover cooked chopped chicken for the salmon-- it's a great way to use up those leftovers in the fridge!



Dressed-up salmon cakes
from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

View it in the Moosewood recipes archive:
http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment