Monday, January 12, 2009

Two of my favorite Sunday meals

Okay, so pasta carbonara is not vegetarian. But it is quick and always delicious. So, when I don't know what to fix for Sunday lunch, this is usually one of Nick's suggestions. I guess it would be veg if I omitted the pancetta...
I love breakfast for supper, especially on Sunday nights. My favorite is biscuits and eggs with tomato gravy. I usually get either disgusted or intrigued looks when I mention tomato gravy. Here's the story: My Mamaw Octavia makes biscuits every morning for her in-town (Jonesville, LA) kids. (At least she used to; I'm not sure whether she still does.) On Sundays, she makes a big breakfast, including sausage or tomato gravy, or both. Tomato's my favorite, so when I'm home long enough to make it to J'ville, she fixes it just for me! (She also made a pecan pie for me and sent it to me at Thanksgiving. I found out later she also made one for my cousin Laura Beth. Considering that she makes pecan pies for really special people like George Jones, I'm thinking Laura Beth and I must rate pretty high!)

Recipes and notes:
Cajun carbonara
pancetta or bacon, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
spaghetti or fettucine
cream
2 eggs
Parmesan, grated
Tabasco
Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
freshly ground black pepper
parsley, finely chopped

Cook pasta according to label directions.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, fry pancetta until almost crispy. Reduceheat, add garlic, cook 1 min. more, being careful not to burn garlic. Drain pancetta and garlic on paper towels.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and cream, using enough cream to make enough sauce to coat pasta. In other words, the amount of cream depends on the amount of pasta. When eggs and cream are well combined, add spices.
When pasta is al dente, drain. Return to pot. Immediately stir in egg/cream sauce, stirring constantly to prevent egg from curdling or scrambling. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Tomato gravy
equal parts oil (or bacon grease) and flour (I usually use 1/4 - 1/3 c)
1 can diced tomatoes (I like petite diced)
water
Tony's
onion and garlic powders
Tabasco
Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Slowly add flour, stirring until blended and smooth. Continue stirring until roux is medium brown, a little darker than peanut butter. Carefully add tomatoes and enough water to thin, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. (You want the gravy a little thin because it will thicken as it cooks.) Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Season to taste, remembering that peppers and Tabasco get hotter as they cook. Cook until gravy reaches desired thickness. Serve over biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment